Sunday, September 24, 2006

Time flies...

so I've heard, and I can't believe it's been a whole week since I have managed to post something on here. Jake's not been well, I've been getting over my summer cold and now Rob's on his way down with it. BOOO!

After taking a couple of days off from jobhunting the week before cos of my cold, I started actively bombarding the agencies again this week and still nothing. The end of summer is always a quiet time cos the graduates have nicked all the good jobs and left the dregs for everyone else. Oh to be a student again; I'd love to go to university but I'm too damn old now and besides I'm a crap academic - ask me to write an essay over 1000 words and I'm stuffed, unless it's something i know really well and then try keeping me to the point and not wandering off on a tangent somewhere.

Speaking of tangents I was talking about jobhunting, wasn't I?

So no news this past week. Went up for a couple of things but not particularly hopeful, just cos my morale has slipped now but whatever.

Sad today as we had to say goodbye to some friends who are leaving next Saturday to live in Spain. We didn't see them much these days but they were one of the first couples I met through P4A (a bulletin board for real-time friends) a few months before I met Rob back in 2002. Even though we never got to see each other except on rare occasions I'm really going to miss them (on the BB as much as in person).

So farewell John and Molly, Bon Voyage and Bonne Chance (written in French cos I can't speak Spanish and it sounds more exotic than in English!).

Went to Sofa Sundaze at the 491 Gallery in Leytonstone to see John and Molly off earlier and although we've been there once before, we've never made it during the day. It's a really nice space to meet with friends and chill out and considering it's a squat (a legal one at that - from what I gather owned by Mayor Ken nonetheless and he's permitted the folks to use it for their projects) it's a lot cleaner than ones I've visited before. Jake had a nice time in the Kids Area, playing with cars and "duck-ducks" and we got his overalls on and we managed to get his hand and footprints onto canvas today (bought from the 99p shop in Leytonstone from what I've been told - that's what I call a bargain!). I'm really looking forward to framing them and putting them up in the house somewhere, either the lounge or the dining room, not sure yet.

They've got a really cool massive concrete firepit with arena-seating round the outside of it so you can keep warm... until you have to run away cos the smoke is making you choke to death! Looking to going to one of their "proper" parties at some point, I know we'll be at a private party there in November but aside from that I would like to see what other kind of all-nighter's they pull off in that space.

I started writing this around 9pm and it's now gone 1am. Not because I have been procrastinating but Jake's been almost inconsolable with his teething tonight poor little mite. He wouldn't let either of us near him, let alone hold him to comfort him or anything; I just felt totally powerless as I sat there and watched this poor little toddler screaming and thrashing and writhing around in obvious agony whilst grabbing his mouth and ear. I tried bringing him water in loads of different vessles to chew on, frozen carrot sticks, celery and he wouldn't even let me give him some Ashton and Parsons teething powders which he's normally so good in taking. It got to the stage where Rob had to hold Jake down on his cot mattress whilst I syringed calpol into his mouth with a pinched nose. I felt absolutely awful as he was screming the house down, to the point where I called NHS direct and just said to them "look, I've tried everything, what else can I do?" Typically, by the time the nurse had called back the Calpol had kicked in and he was all dopey and dozy cuddled up on Rob's shoulder. 15 minutes of cuddles with me later and he was in his bed and I held his hand and stroked his head for another 5 minutes till he went to sleep.


So (I daresay) I'd best go get some sleep till the Calpol wears off again and ting. *yawn* wish us luck for a good night's sleep, Rob's gotta go to work in t'morning too, poor bugger.

Taters (in sleepy green @ 01:13) x

5 comments:

Dan said...

Yay for commenting ability!
Though, for the record, the colourscheme is *cough* out there... ;)

Will mail you my phone number in a bit, or in the morning - depending on when I remember :D

Dan said...

You might want to sort your settings here - either use word verification (advisable) OR moderation - both is over kill and making more work for you :)

Lara said...

Thanks for that Dan ;o) but I happen to like my "out there" colour scheme! If you know me at all (which, of course you don't - YET!) you'll understand why...

[/raging rainbow-loving hippie]

Dan said...

Oooh it's not that I don't like it - but i am colourblind so a lot of the time, your descrptive bit at the end makes me furrow my brow as I try to work out if you're making it up or just trying to confuse me ;)

Lara said...

what descriptive bit are you talking about?