Sunday, October 08, 2006

In the wars

Not once, but twice today: -





He fell outside in the garden this morning before I got up while he was playing with his new football and split his bottom lip, then about 3/4 of an hour ago he was trying to climb down the back step to go and play in the garden he stacked it again and gave himself a matching fat top lip too and a coule of little grazes above and below his left eye. Instantly he rushed to Rob for cuddles and wouldn't let me near him (WTF is that all about?), so I set about getting some cotton wool and salted boiled water (ouch!) to clean it up with. Had a change of heart and ran down the local shop for some TCP and Savlon and picked up some Magic Stars for the brave little soldier.

So after protestation I cleaned him up and he's been sitting with Daddy eating his chocolate, making the direct association between the glow in the dark stars we have on the ceiling (left over from our housewarming 2 years ago!), his picture from toddler group with a big yellow star on it, some beaded bracelets with stars and his chocolate ones too. So while it was a sad moment for the Jakester it was a proud moment for Mummy and Daddy that he'd made the connection.

As I was running down the shop I realised I had known this was going to happen by way of premonition. I was in Tesco last week and picked up a bottle of Dettol thinking to myself "I really should get one of these as I'm likely to need it to clean Jake up at some point". I shouldn't be surprised as this happens more than I care to remember but being the skeptic that I am it always comes up and bites me on the arse...

Just called NHS Direct as he's had a few spots come up on him too, maybe as a result of his Pneumococcal vaccine that he had on Thursday. There are a few groups of isolated single or double spots. One on his left cheek, two on the back of his left shoulder and a couple of them down on the left of his back towards his nappy. Did the glass test and it was fine - no signs of light sensitivity or stiff neck/headache so I'm pretty sure it's not the dreaded "big M". Spoke to the nurse at NHS direct and she just gave me the usual "keep your eye on him, call us if anything changes".

Well Rob's been sitting on the floor playing with him (still not wanting to know me really) and he just leant over, puckered up and gave him a kiss - first time he's ever puckered up as opposed to the whole *open mouth* "ahhhhh"-type kiss.

So I was feeling really upset and dejected as he's been totally unresponsive to me most of the day so far; at worst he usually runs over to see me and give me a hug if I've been the one having a lie-in that day, and not a sausage. Anyway, Rob went into the kitchen to get Jake's bottle ready for his nap, came back in and said "come on Jakey, time for your nap - say night-night to Mummy" and he walked over to me, puckered up and gave me a kiss.

So I'm in tears now, tears of happiness at the simplest of things. The sweetest gesture from a son to his mother. I love my family. LOTS.



I just wish there wasn't an empty place at the dinner table cos Jaia would have made our family perfect.

No comments: